8.08.2024

UPDATE: NEW TARGET GOAL FOR GLORIA DULAN-WILSON'S LIFE-SAVING STANDING WHEELCHAIR GOFUNDME!!


BY Gloria DULAN-Wilson

Hello All:

I am so excited!  The manufacturer of the DRACO STANDING POWER WHEELCHAIR reached out to me and said I could get it at the considerably lower amount of $5,000!!

I guess they saw my GoFundMe!

But this means that I only need to raise $3,328.00!!



Thanks so much - Gloria DULAN-Wilson

 This is my first time ever soliciting funds for my self - kind of nervous about it.  But hope you will please contribute and share with your sources and resources.

I want to thank all who have followed my blog, ECLECTICALLY BLACK NEWS over these past 15 years.  The loss of my mobility has been a challenge, but the fact that I could still communicate has made it bearable.  However, now that I no longer have a mobility device, coupled with the fact that my circulation has decreased is a challenge that makes me take time out to say HELP!

I thought I would be able to manage this on my own, but GOD said that's what friends are for. And I've blessed you with many wonderful friends. 

So Thanks to all my friends who follow me.  I did not set the parameters for the donation, but a specialized standing wheelchair is a heavy lift.  

Please donate whatever you can.  I will totally appreciate your heart's gift.

Please - if the link does not work, copy and paste into your browser - thanks so much - GloW




© 2010-2024 GoFundMeTermsPrivacy NoticeLegalAccessibility StatementCookie PolicyYour Privacy Choices

Get it on Google PlayAvailable on the App Store

$5,000.00

Donate now

This fundraiser is located near you

Become the first supporter

Your donation matters

GoFundMe protects your donation

We guarantee you a full refund for up to a year in the rare case that fraud occurs. See our GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.

Main fundraiser photo

Donate for Gloria's Life-Saving Wheelchair


Gloria DULAN-Wilson is organizing this fundraiser.

Donation protected

Greetings all! Most of you know me - but for those of you who receive this and are not familiar with me, my name is Gloria DULAN-Wilson. I am a combination journalist, blogger, activist, speaker, and ECLECTICALLY BLACK woman who has had the privilege and pleasure of having interviewed and written about some pretty wonderful and dynamic people over the decades that God has blessed me to be here.

I am putting together this GoFundMe in my behalf because I lost my ability to walk nearly 4 years ago during the sequestation of Covid. No, I did not have covid! But I had started to lose my ability to walk without pain, drugs or a cane during the late 2019 - and was undergoing a specialized aquatherapy to restore my ability to walk at a facility called Aquahab in Philadelphia. I was beginning to make progress, however everything shut down during March of 2020, and by April of 2020, I had completely lost my capacity to walk or stand - and was basically bed bound, except for the Mobility Scooter I had purchased to be able to get around. The scooter was a work horse and made it possible to be able to participate in many events subsequent to the pandemic, attend cover stories, and continue with my writing, etc.

However, the scooter "DIED" literally in July. Simultaneously, the nurse practitioner who pays regular visits to chart my progress informed me that my being in a seated position 24 hours a day was causing my muscles, limbs and other parts of my body to atropjhy, blocking circulation, and causing huge lesions on my legs and feet.


It was recommended that I transition from a scooter to a specialized power wheelchair with a built in stand up feature, would made it possible to allow the circulation from my legs back to my heart. It's a specialized device, that may be covered by Medicare and Medicaid, but takes an act of God and Congress to get - even though my primary care physician has declared it a medical necessity. I was also told by the Durable Medical Sales representative that they did not sell these devices, and it would be practically impossible to get one. That turned out to be untrue - however, most of those who deal with medical equipment are trying to shove their outdated devices on us, while they still can, and collect a commission while doing so.

As I began to do research, I found that there are several power standing wheelchairs, that range in price from moderate to monsterous. My health is very important to me. And I would not be the first Black woman to be told that something was impossible, or would take an inordinant amount of time, while others are receiving the benefit of life saving devices.

I am putting together this GoFundMe in hopes that you will assist me in obtaining the Standing Wheelchair so I can save my lower limbs, regain my ability to be of use to the brothers and sisters in my community.

I've been doing quite a bit of research as to who makes the standing Wheelchair, and who has the best features, and have come across the DRACO Standing Wheelchair - which ranges in cost from $9,000 to $13,000 - depending on the vendor. It works indoors and outdoors, and has unique therapeutic features that enhance circulation in my legs and feet. 

DRACO POWER STANDING WHEELCHAIR

Me on my little Putt-Putt before it died

 


Most of you who know me know that I generally don't solicit assistance from my friends or relatives; unless it's dire. Well, this has become dire - since I've not been able to leave my home in more than a month, and also because poor circulation generates clots. Additionally, even with my primary physician's medial necessity, I've been informed it may take Medicare/medicaid two to six months before I receive the mobility device. That could basically jeopardize me for an embolism, or other dangers that result with the blockage in the circulatory system. The formal term is Chronic Venous Insufficiency. I've been to Johns Hopkins Hospital, Penn Medicine, Lankenau Hospital and the verdict is that the lack of blood flow from my legs to my heart can generate clots and other dangers.

Three years ago, in October 2021 I had two clots travel up to my veins towards my lungs, but, thanks to the good doctors at Penn medicine, were caught in time and dissolved.

At this juncture, keeping my legs elevated - as some have recommended - is not sufficient, nor are the "compression garments" they prescribe. The blockage is a result of my inability to stand or walk .

Of course, I am always looking out for a miracle and am researching doctors who specialize in healing CVI. And I stay prayed up. But being assisted in standing, and the other therapeutic benefits of the standing wheelchair will be a GodSend.

I thank you for taking the time to read this; and appreciate whatever contribution you feel moved to make to make this happen.

Stay Blessed & ECLECTICALLY BLACK

Gloria DULAN-Wilson



 

Show your support for this GoFundMe

Illustration of helping hands

Give $20 and be a founding donor

Your donation is the start of Gloria's journey to success. Your early support inspires others to donate.

Make a donation

Organizer

Gloria DULAN-Wilson

Organizer

Philadelphia, PA


 Thanks again for your love, your support and your assistance:

ECLECTICALLY BLACK 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank YOU For Visiting Gloria Dulan-Wilson Eclectic Black People VIP Blog. We Would Like Your Views, Interests And Perspectives. Please Leave A Comment Below.