2.16.2021

OWED TO CICELY - an Open Letter to Soror/Sister Cicely Tyson

By Gloria DULAN-Wilson

Hello All!!

Owed to Cicely Tyson:

Dear Cicely - I hope this letter reaches you at your new address - Celestial Realm of Ancestor/Angels

I just wanted to congratulate you on your finest and most stellar accomplishment - that of ascension of the highest order after 96 highly successful, spiritual, impactful, exemplary years on this plane of action - without one taint, smirch, or blemish on you or your reputation.  

Everybody ain't able, my Sister/Soror/Diva!  And I want to make sure that it did not go unnoticed or unappreciated.

I know GOD, The Living Spirit Almighty saw you and was extremely pleased that you walked in the way of  His Wisdom and Love, always displaying the talents HE gave you to the highest level.  He was so pleased to know that his efforts were not wasted, but were expanded and exalted in your capable hands.




I know that it had a profound impact on me when I first saw you on the TV Show, EAST SIDE/WEST SIDE.  My sister, Brenda, and I were mesmerized - so was my Mom.  We always made it a policy in my family to watch any and everything that came on TV that had Black people in it.  It was rare then to see Blacks in TV programs - so when we did, we called our friends and neighbors; or they called us so we'd all be watching at the same time (and this was way before Zoom). 

And you looked absolutely stunning on TV - even though it was in Black and white.   You were articulate, intelligent, and professional in your role as Jane Foster.  I was entering imy freshman year at Hampton Institute (now University) - you gave me so much to emulate.  Not that we didn't have many beautiful, accomplished, professional women to look up to in Oklahoma City - especially our teachers and other people in our neighborhood.  But to see it reflected in a TV show, where you were speaking "proper English," and carrying yourself with dignity, pride, and just a little bit of sensuality on the side.  My Sistuh! we were looking forward to watching that series unfold.  But it was not to be. It was pulled after the first season, never to be seen again. 

Not knowing how Televisionland operated back in the day, I assumed that was the end of your career.  During that same time you, Letta Mbulu, and Miriam Mkeba were the only three Black women I knew of who wore their hair in natural styles.  It was not something I was looking forward to doing.  I was totally committed to the hair relaxer generation during those days.  But I also was in awe at how brave you were for going against the meanstream society and daring to wear your hair "nappy."  Black then, it was better to be caught naked than to be caught nappy for Negroes - our standards of beauty were clearly caucasoid - and it was strictly reinforced on both sides of the racial divide.  Thank GOD in 1966 my eyes were opened at Lincoln University when you and other avant-garde Black Women were featured in a display on Beautiful Black Women and natural hair.

Five years later, in 1968 - thanks to synchronicity - I had the great good fortune to meet you in person!  By that time I had been wearing my hair natural for two years.  In fact, there were many of us wearing natural hair styles - or Afros - as many of us called them.  We were Black and Proud.  We were wearing Afrocentric clothing, doing African dances, studying African cultures, and reuniting with our African Brothers and Sisters  - Just like you Cicely! 

You would be on the cover of a Ebony or Essence magazine, or in a newspaper column looking stunning in those wonderful African colors.  And we'd try to come up with the look - a combination of you - Afro Chique, and Angela Davis with our Afros out so big they form a natural halo around our faces.  And your expression and demeanor would always be the standard for me and some of my peers.

I was so totally blown away when I attended a graduation ceremony at famed The Harlem School of The Arts  for the first crew of African American producers who were trained at WNET Channel 13 after completing a rigorous program.  This was during the heyday of Black power, and the different industries were trying to atone for having left us out.  I went to see my sister/friend Marlayana Franklin's short that she had produced on Black History..  As I took my place at the table, there were several pleasant people seated around the table.  The room was dimly lit, so it took me a minute to see who I was sharing the table with.  When I saw you seated there, aside Lena Horne,  Ellis Haizlip, and a few other recognizable figures, all there to cheer her on - I could only think that somebody made a mistake and put me at the wrong table!  I literally couldn't catch my breath - I was so overwhelmed.  It was totally surreal!   Like true New Yorkers, you kept the  conversation casual and lighthearted.  I don't have any idea what I said if anything.  I believed I mumbled that I was supporting Marlayna.     Thankfully, I didn't have to say much of anything because they began showing the clips from each of the producers.  Everybody cheered for everybody - and I silently wished I had known about the production training program - I would have loved to have been a part of it.  When Marlayna came over to the table, there were hugs all around - with the focus on her production.  She was working with Ellis Haizlip's Black History show - one that I watched for years until it was canceled.  I left that evening thanking God for blessing me with living in New York City, and for meeting you and Lena Horne - two of the most elegant, iconic Black women on the planet. 




It was eons before I would once again see you in person.  In the interim, I made sure that whenever you were in a movie or on TV, my family and I would watch you.  My kids grew up on you - and in some sense, I grew up on you.  The AutoBiography of Miss Jane Pittman had them mesmerized.  My son asked me whether or not there were segregated drinking water fountains in Oklahoma City - Yes!  My daughter asked about what I did during the Civil Rights Era - which prompted an entire conversation - I probably gave them more information than they really wanted.   But the entire time our eyes were glued on you and how you graciously and masterfully aged through the different eras - not a dry eye in my living room as you masterfully assumed the demeanor of a 110 year old Black woman and drank your first drink from that fountain.

You received the MLK Award from my brother/friend/impresario Jimi Holloway, alongside a previous constituent of mine, Rodney King.  You were dressed in sparkling white with sequins all over; and you flashed that beautiful smile as I took a picture of the two of you together.  (I apologize but I have no idea what happened to those pictures).  You stayed for a while to listen to the Caribbean and African music that was being played in on of the ball rooms.  

However, my next close encounter of the Blessed kind with you was when our Sister/Soror/Friend Dr. Betty Shabazz had made her transition and was being funeralized by the Muslims in New York City.  Though i had been to many an event under Minister Louis Farrakhan, I had never attended a homegoing service.  As usual, men were seated on one side, and women on the other.  Imagine my surprise when I was told I could not enter because I was wearing pants.  I had gotten there early in order to have a favorable seat - but was not expecting to be refused admission.  Nor was I aware that you were standing right behind me when they turned me away, and had overheard the whole thing.  After I tried to explain that I was the Daily Challenge News and would be willing to sit off side, did not win any concession, I started walking away.  You followed me and offered me your shawl to wrap around me so it would like a skirt.  I was so blown away again!!  ️I thanked you profusely (I'm sure I gushed - LOL) and you helped me put together a makeshift skirt, and we walked back into the services.  I don't know how many times I tried to thank you - and you just said don't mention it.  I've never forgotten it - and always treasure being the recipient of your spirit of sisterhood. 🥰

I was truly hoping that would be the beginning of a long friendship, but, alas, that was the last time I saw you in person for years.  I would catch the movies you appeared in sporadically, but never encountered you in person.  Once in a while I would glimpse you trying to blend in with the crowd at an event of importance to the Black community - you'd be wearing a 2 piece denim jean suit, and a wide brim denim hat pulled down over your face, with dark glasses.  You had a camera in your hands and would be taking canndid pictures.  I guess many weren't aware that it was you - but I knew it was you.  Of course I would never blow your cover.  I just hoped I would have the opportunity to at least say hello, or give you a hug. 


I was so happy when Tyler Perry began to include you in his movies. I have always had a great deal of respect for this brother who did not forget those who paved the way for the rest to come through.  There was a generation or two of Black youth who had never seen your work.  I was so glad to see that you were energetic and just as beautiful as ever.  It took me a minute to adjust to the new hair style.  But you look beautiful regardless of what your hairstyle was.  I enjoyed you and Maya Angelou and the banter between you.  Tyler must have been an old soul to have had the wisdom to pair you two together.

Soror Cicely Tyson - I kept saying that over and over and over.  Had I known during all the times you and I had cross paths, I would have definitely hugged you.   I was so happy that I bragged to the point of annoyance - I'm sure several of my friends were tired of hearing it.  But you have no idea how proud I felt/feel.

Our last in person encounter was at Soror Susan Taylor's Fund Raiser for National Cares Mentoring Gala in 2018.  I had the great good fortune to take some candid shots of you and greet you.  You gave me that beautiful smile of yours!! I wanted to, but your body guards would not let me give you a hug.  Not that I could blame them.  I could not help but notice how tiny you had become - like a sprite dressed in heavenly blue satin outfit you were wearing.

This is supposed to be a short letter - but all my friends know that I don't know how to write "short."  I tend to write like the New York Times - all the Thoughts That's Fit to Share. 

And now that you have made your transition before I could tell you, up close and personal, how much your being on this planet has meant to me, this is my next best opportunity.   
Cicely you have been a lifelong inspiration and a great source of my Pride in being a Black woman.  I hope that I have, in some measure, replicated that demeanor of genteel Black womanhood who was not to be trifled with, but who definitely knew who she was/is and loved it.  You exemplified the Black woman who stood by her man regardless of his deficits, and could see through his tragedy to his heart (of course, on the flip side, who also had the wisdom to hear her friends, who loved her so much, to save her from her own generous soul - been there, done that.   To see that you were willing to be vulnerable and not concerned with the general public in following your heart - that made me love you even more, my sister.
At Susan Taylor's National Cares Mentoring Gala 2018

 

I am also so happy that you showed me that you are never too old, it's neve too late, and that you never give up, but continue to expand and evolve your talent and energies.  To see you - like the true New Yorker that you are - hanging out with the rest of us - enjoying the evening - Not too tired, not too stressed - but totally engaged with the events of the evening.  Awesome!️

And as your last act you actually completed your memoirs -JUST AS I AM (c)-  right up to the very last minute - I plan to read and re-read it to get the very essence of all that you have been trying to teach us through word and example.

So, my congratulations to you for all you've accomplished over these years, despite the insanity going on around you.  Congratulations to you for receiving the Congressional Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama; for being a consistent presence in Tyler Perry's wonderful movies. 

Thanks so much for being you - one of the most wonderful, fantastic Ladies on the Planet and from being a DIVAS - Dynamic, Intelligent, Vivacious, African Sister.

As you ascend your throne in the REALM OF THE ANCESTOR/ANGELS with your peers Maya Angelou and  Ruby Dee Davis just take a glance once in a whitle down here on us and send us some of your aura and energy. 

We, your family, friends, fans and associates love you dearly and are going to miss you muchly - so please understand if this is not a joyous moment for us.  For, while we most certainly celebrate your life, and all that you've been and one, not having you among us is quite painful and is going to take some major adjustment.  Years - perhaps.  You will be in our thoughts and in our hearts - because legends such as yourself never really die - you are the gift that keeps on giving through your legacy - but it will be painful never the less. 

Much Luv4U

Rest in continued Power




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In Gratitude and Respect
Gloria DULAN-Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank YOU For Visiting Gloria Dulan-Wilson Eclectic Black People VIP Blog. We Would Like Your Views, Interests And Perspectives. Please Leave A Comment Below.