9.07.2021

ICYMI: PAUL ROBESON IS TCM's SEPTEMBER STAR OF THE MONTH!!



By Gloria DULAN-Wilson

Hello All:

I totally confess that from childhood, I've had a life long fascination and crush on the great Paul Robeson.  Ever since I saw The Emperor Jones on the big screen in The East Side Theater, a Black owned movie theater in Oklahoma City.  My parents took us to see it and other Black movies when we were kids - us being my sister Brenda and me.  Even at that young age I totally appreciated the very handsome Black man with that amazing voice that reverberated through my skinny bone structure.  It was love at first sight - second only to my Daddy, Warner Hale Dulan. 

In school in Oklahoma City, we studied Paul Robeson; in our many Black history  school plays the guys imitated him, and we basically grew up listening to his many songs.  But, other than Showboat and God's Trombone, I had no idea of the amazing body of work he had done outside the limitations of a racist America.  I did not learn about this until I was grown, on my own, and watching latenight movies on WNET Channel 13 in NYC - where they did an amazing retrospective of Paul Robeson's movies - that was in the 70s. 

I also did not connect the dots when I was attending Lincoln University, that I was in the very city where he was born raised and resided.  Amazing!!! Of course at that stage of my life, I would have been much too shy to do anything about it.  But, just to think that I was visiting my best friend, Annie Gee, in West Philadelphia, and she lived right around the corner from him!!! Wow!!

I was totally blown away!  I had met his son Paul Jr., who was a nice guy, but nothing like his dad - and asked him about the movies his father had starred in.  He seemed to be totally surprised to find it out.

In 1976, while residing in California, I completed training in Broadcast Journalism, and got my FCC license.  I did my first broadcast, and sadly my first story was about the passing of the great Paul Robeson, who had fought a valiant fight against racism, restriction and the disenfranchisement of Black people.  His Passport and Visa had been confiscated because he stood up for Black people - at home and abroad.  Sadly Black people did not stand for him during his trial and tribulations.  I had always wished that he had done like WEB DuBois, and expatriated to Ghana when America decided they were going to turn on him (I wished the same for Bill Cosby - when they tried to lynch him with lies). 

The caucasoids tried to claim he was a communist - which he was not, and emphatically denied - because he spoke out against the racism in the United States perpetrated against Black people.

Paul Robeson was the epitome of a FINE BLACK MAN - who stood his ground, stood for Black people, did not back down, a quadruple threat: ACTIVIST, ACTOR, VOCALIST, SPEAKER, ICON, INTELLECT, i.e. THE FULL PACKAGE of everything caucasoid males are totally afraid of - those indeniable nascent qualities most Black men possess, that caucasoids have been trying to either beat into submission, or deprive us of ever since they set their rotten feet on AFRICAN SOIL  -
BTW:  Did I mention he was an ARIES?

With al the foregoing, I was so elated to find that TCM had selected him as their September Star of the Month - which started this past Sunday, September 5 with a kickoff salute to him, and two of his early movies BODY & SOUL,  and THE EMPEROR JONES.  Most of his movies were made in England - where he was the principle star of the movie - something he could never do in the US.  I hope you tune in and watch this wonderful brother at his finest - Black in the day.

But my big question is this: 
WHY HAVEN'T OUR BLACK TV CHANNELS DONE A TRIBUTE/RETROSPECTIVE ON THE GREAT PAUL ROBESON? BET, ASPIRE, TV ONE, Griot???
WHY HAVEN'T OUR PRODUCERS DONE A BIOPIC ON THE GREAT PAUL ROBESON? He definitely paved the way for so many of those who are enjoying freedom of creative expression today!  Spike, Tyler?
Why aren't we supporting the Paul Robeson Museum in Philadelphia,  PA???  They could certainly use our support.
WHY ISN'T THERE A PAUL ROBESON EXTRAORDINARY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD given to someone who has gone the extra distance?  Come on BET, NAACP, Urban League, etc??? 






Having him featured as Star of the Month on TCM is indeed a great honor for such a great man - but we should likewise be giving Paul Robeson his due for generations to come. 
It's really up to us, isn't it?




 
 
Posted the article below in my Blog and on Facebook on February 28 this year - I'm re-posting it in honor of The Great PAUL ROBESON
 
I've included links to some of his movies that were done outside the US to show his brilliance at a time when we were being lynched, discounted, disregarded, and just plain dissed.  Hope you enjoy them.  If they don't open, paste them into your browser.  





https://www.facebook.com/WeActRadio/posts/3350542964995623



I am a lifelong fan of the great PAUL ROBESON - ever since I first heard his voice sing OLD MAN RIVER. 
It's too bad we couldn't clone this FINE BLACK MAN - there are a lot of sisters who would absolutely love to have a Fabulous Brother like him in her life - including yours truly. 
It's obvious the mainstream media and racist caucasoids have been successful in squelching the wonderful movies he's done that were so far ahead of the game that it would have caused street riots in the South to see this brother in all his glory and magnificence. 

I'm share a short list of his works with you.  The caucasoids try to say he was a communist - totally ignoring his other greater body of work in the Cinema and his stance for Black people and liberation. 
There are several other movies starred Paul Robeson where he was cast as the lead - THE HERO - unlike the many demeaning movies made about Black men and women - (Showboat springs to mind). 

There are days when I just binge on his movies.
There is one movie  with Nina Mae McKinney where he is the king of his tribe - she plays his wife  - that is so absolutely fabulous - it is absolutely my favorite Paul Robeson movie.

I hope you can click on the links and watch them and enjoy this wonderful, powerful, FINE BLACK MAN - PAUL ROBESON.  Share them with your family - especially the ones who said they don't like black and white movies.  What they don't realize is that they were done in the early to mid-30s when technology was deemed out of reach of Black people - but we told the stories and made the movies anyway - and did a fabulous job.  At the same time Robeson was making movies for Black people, Spencer Williams and Oscar Michaeaux were doing the same as well.  Robeson had the distinction of being able to be on an equal or superior footing with whites, and telling them off with impunity - probably because his movies were made outside the USA.

I'm a little disappointed that Philadelphia Blacks did not stand up for him when his passport and travel rights were taken away to prevent him from having a larger platform to speak of the evils Black people were suffering in the US.  They also prevented him from singing locally.  He was there for us, but we did not reciprocate.

Enjoy the movies - and if you find any additional Robeson movies that I'm not familiar with (that are non-communistic in nature), please share them with me:  4ECLECTICALLYBLACKNEWS@gmail.com



NOW THAT YOU KNOW
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?


Gloria DULAN-Wilson
Stay Blessed &
ECLECTICALLY BLACK





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank YOU For Visiting Gloria Dulan-Wilson Eclectic Black People VIP Blog. We Would Like Your Views, Interests And Perspectives. Please Leave A Comment Below.