2.05.2020

Congressman Dwight Evans Salutes Rev. Leon Sullivan for Black History Month

By Gloria Dulan-Wilson

Hello All:

Happy Black History Month!!!

There are so many inspirational things and people to celebrate during this special time of the year, and I will be sharing them with you from time to time.
The Great Rev. Leon Sullivan


Pennsylvania Congressman Dwight Evans shared a memory of Rev. Dr. Leon Sullivan - one of my personal heroes - who founded OIC (Opportunities Industrialization Center), Progress Plaza - the first Black Owned Shopping Center in Philadelphia, OIC International - which had branches throughout Africa, helping to train our African brothers and sisters in trades and businesses necessary to advance their county.  The first OIC center was established in Philadelphia in1964, in an abandoned jailhouse at 19th and Oxford Streets.  It is currently located at 1231 N Broad Street.  His church, Zion Baptist Church, is still active at Broad and Venango Streets.  

As I stated earlier, Rev. Leon Sullivan was one of my personal heroes.  I met him after I graduated from Lincoln University and was doing a graduate program in Philadelphia - It was just around the time that he founded OIC International.  I took a course in commercial sewing at OIC because I had considered going in to the field of fashion design - I have been designing and making my own clothes since I was 10.  My classmate/brother/friend and Fine Black Man, Sam Anderson, recommended I take the class so I could mass produce the items.  I took exactly 1 class on a power sewing machine at OIC.  Accustomed to a regular sewing machine, I was not prepared for the speed at which the machine sewed, and nearly sewed up my hand in the process.  It scared me to no end, and convinced me that I was not ready for power sewing.  in the interim, however, Dr. Sullivan and his staff made such an impression on me because of the wonderful work he was doing in teaching so many brothers and sisters in Philly the skill sets they needed to be employable.  Decades later, after his transition to the realm of Ancestor Angels, I met his daughter Hope Sullivan, at an African reception, that was also attended by Ambassador Andrew Young (another personal hero of mine) and her brother Howard.  And later found out that one of my Lincoln University classmates, Ralph Perkins, worked with Dr. Sullivan from the time he graduated from Lincoln until 2011, in his OIC International operations.

Such a wonderful example of yet another historical figure with Philadelphia beginnings.  It's no coincidence that ATAC (Avenging The Ancestors Coalition) holds its meetings at Zion Baptist Church, and continues the work of consolidating community groups for the betterment of Black people.  ATAC's founder, Black historian and educator, Dr. Edward Robinson was a friend and contemporary of Dr. Sullivan. 


In 2014, OIC celebrated their 50th Anniversary with a gala tribute to Rev. Sullivan.  His family continues to be involved in overseeing the organization, which has branches throughout the US and parts of Africa.   We can learn much from this wonderful leader who devoted his life to providing the practical application of our prayers and spiritual aspirations. 





Dwight Evans for Congress

Congressman Dwight Evans - D - Philadelphia, PA

Gloria D.,

From a very young age, I knew Reverend Leon Sullivan was a driving, positive force in the African American community -- and I wanted to be just like him.

In 1959, he organized a boycott of Philadelphia businesses that refused to interview Black youth for jobs. This "Don't Buy Where You Don't Work" boycott was extraordinarily effective. In fact, Sullivan's efforts in our community got the attention of none other than Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. himself, who asked the Reverend to be a part of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

This Black History Month, I can't help but reflect on incredible Philadelphia civil rights leaders like Reverend Sullivan who inspired me to step up and get involved. Growing up in the 1960s, I saw countless African American men and women bravely taking action to make this country better for little Black boys like me.


That's why I'm more committed than ever to work with you to build a stronger Philadelphia -- and a stronger America -- block by block.

Reverend Leon Sullivan was also a pioneer in developing job training programs to create paths to better-paying jobs. His creation of the Opportunities Industrialization Center of America actually became the model for other cities across the country.

This is what always impressed me most about Leon: time and time again, he empowered people to change their own communities. He's the one who inspired me to create the Concerned Citizens of the 10th Ward. And, looking back on it, his effort to build Progress Plaza as America's first Black-owned and Black-developed shopping center provided me with a blueprint for revitalizing West Oak Lane.

This Black History Month, I encourage you to join me in reflecting on the African American leaders who've inspired you, and to support the vital work of local organizations like Philly We Rise and Black Lives Matter Philly.

And most of all, I hope this campaign has inspired you to get involved and think about ways you can work with others in your neighborhood to help build a better world for all of us. That's how we can honor our past and create progress for generations to come.
Thank you,
Dwight Evans


 Dwight Evans for Congress appreciates any feedback you might have. Click here to contact Dwight Evans for Congress with any questions, concerns, or ideas. 
Dwight Evans is making history in real time - and we need to make sure he is able to continue doing so.  Make sure you're registered, and that you vote so he can continue representing our interests in DC
NOW THAT YOU KNOW
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?
Stay Blessed & 
ECLECTICALLY BLACK
Gloria Dulan-Wilson
eclecticallyblacknews@gmail.com















 









-->

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank YOU For Visiting Gloria Dulan-Wilson Eclectic Black People VIP Blog. We Would Like Your Views, Interests And Perspectives. Please Leave A Comment Below.